Brazil has announced a security boost ahead of the World CupSecurity at the World Cup is of paramount importance to organisers
70,000 extra security agents will be used at this year’s tournament.
170,000 people are expected to be deployed to guarantee security across the 12 host cities.
In January, the organisers had suggested the tournament's security personnel would total 100,000 people but at a security workshop on Thursday, the organising committee said this figure should be increased.
Brazil has seen nationwide protests since June of last year as people revolt against poor public services and corruption amongst many other things.
"We have a lot of concerns, not so much about protests which are a democratic right, but rather about potential violence. We are committed to preventing violence during any protest activity," a Justice Ministry official, Andrei Rodrigues, told reporters.
FIFA’s security director, Ralf Mutschke, said he is confident Brazil will host a safe tournament.
"The teams have great faith in the level of security going to be provided," Mr Mutschke said at the close of a security workshop for officials of the 32 teams which will be competing in Brazil.