Portuguese media claim Cebolinha to Benfica is a done deal for €20 million
The race to sign Cebolinha has heated up over the past few weeks. The duo of Napoli and Premier League side Everton were reported to be keen on his transfer but the Serie A outfit seems to have given up the chase.
Benfica have moved in swiftly for the 24-year-old especially since their appointment of Jorge Jesus as manager. The Portuguese manager told the club president Luís Filipe Vieira to seal a deal quickly and it appears Benfica might have just done that.
The Aguias reportedly submitted an €18m fee and were told to submit a better offer to tempt Gremio to sell. And reports from Portuguse outlet Abola now hints that a €20m agreement might be imminent between both sides.
Reports suggest negotiations will advance this week. A meeting between representatives of the gaucho club and the Portuguese side has already taken place on Tuesday morning.
Everton Cebolinha welcomes the two proposals and is divided by preference. So far, however, nothing has been agreed with Grêmio but they are likely to go with Benfica for an agreement.
Cebolinha has a contract with Grêmio until the end of 2023 and a reported release clause of 120 million euros (R $ 725 million) for clubs abroad.
Gremio holds 50% of the attacker’s economic rights. The rest is divided between Gilmar Veloz, his former manager (30%), Fortaleza (10%) and a partner from the Rio Grande do Sul club (10%).