Bartomeu slams Arthur for refusing to play again for Barcelona
Just last month, Barcelona announced that they have agreed on terms with Juventus over the transfer of Arthur Melo.
Following the announcement, Arthur vowed to give his all for Barca till the very end of the current campaign.
However, he might have bailed on his vows. Spanish media claim the 23-year-old is not pleased with being left out of the club’s plans since his imminent move was made official.
In retaliation, Arthur has now refused to return to Spain and has no intention to wear the Catalan giant’s jersey anymore.
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is not pleased with the turn of events and has slammed the Brazilian’s acts as ‘unacceptable’.
“What Arthur has done shows a lack of respect for his team-mates because the team wants to do well in the Champions League,” Bartomeu told SPORT.
“It is not logical that playing for such an important title, a player decides to remove himself. It is unjustifiable and totally incomprehensible.
“We reached the agreement that until the Champions League ended he would continue playing for Barca, both in the league and in the Champions League. He is a player who has a certain importance in the team and who could help us.”
“But he did not appear from the return of the mini-vacations. It is an unacceptable act of indiscipline. And that is why we have opened a file for him, because there is no argument to justify his absence.
“He called and said, ‘I will not return, I will stay in Brazil’. It is his decision. No one has given him permission.”
Barcelona face Napoli in their Champions League return leg on August 8 and it means Arthur will miss out on the crunch clash.