Barcelona set to sign Gustava Maia from Sao Paulo in R$27 million deal

Barcelona have agreed a deal in principle with Sao Paulo that would see Gustava Maia move to Spain. The deal was finalized on Monday.
Barcelona Sao Paulo Gustavo Maia
© Divulgação Igor Amorim / SPFC

The Catalan side had already acquired the player’s purchase preference and will pay about 4.5 million euros (R$ 27 million) for the 19-year-old according to reports.

Further reports explain that the Catalan giants had already paid an initial amount of 1 million euros (R $ 6 million) to Sao Paulo for the player’s option to buy. They will now pay the remaining 3.5 million euros (R$ 21 million) in cash to Sao Paulo.

The Brazilian outfit own 100% of the striker’s image rights and will therefore receive the full transfer amount. After the purchase, Barcelona will have 70% of his rights while Sao Paulo would be entitled to the remaining 30% if a future sale does happen. The Spanish club’s idea is to take advantage of the athlete in his team B.

Maia also appears to have confirmed the deal has gone through with a post on Instagram.

Arriving at São Paulo’s world-famous Cotia academy – which has produced the likes of Kaka, Casemiro, and Lucas Moura, among others – aged 14, Maia has also represented his country as an U-16 and U-17.

At the turn of 2020, in the Copinha youth club tournament that has revealed stars such as Gabriel Jesus in its past editions, Maia’s three goals in seven outings saw him promoted to Fernando Diniz’s senior team, which these days contains Barça legend Dani Alves.

Still yet to make his professional debut, then, with the São Paulo state championship postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak, such a milestone could be ticked off once play resumes in August.

This is because as of yet, it is unknown whether Maia will continue on loan with his current Brazilian employers, who retain 30% of his economic rights, or immediately join Barça’s B team.

It is expected that Maia will join up with Barcelona B once he arrives from Brazil and will get the chance to impress with García Pimienta’s side next season.

Maia’s agent, Danilo Silva, spoke about a possible Barca move last month, revealing the youngster was already having Spanish lessons and “always wanted Barcelona.”

It would continue Barcelona’s investment in young talent over the past few years.

Comments

Icon Grey Chat
0