Atlético Mineiro pull out of Nicolas Anelka deal
The striker’s move to the Belo Horizonte club is now off after the Frenchman took too long to report to the club.
Atlético-MG director Eduardo Maluf told the media that Nicolas Anelka had until Monday to report to the club and sign his contract. On Tuesday, however, the player was still in Kuwait on a religious trip.
Club president, Alexandre Kalil, had previously announced the deal to sign Anelka on 6 April but Maluf announced on Tuesday that he would no longer be joining the club.
"He had the obligation to let us know about this in advance," Maluf said.
"Atlético is much bigger than this, the deal is off."
Maluf said it was the third time the player and his agents had given excuses for his failure to report to the club.
The 35-year-old striker has been without a club since West Brom fired him in March following a five-match suspension for a racially aggravated goal celebration.