Construction company fined R$1m over 'serious problems' at the Mineirão
The Mineiro government have fined a construction company R$1m for a series of serious faults in building the Mineirão which opened last week.
The fine, which converts to half a million dollars, was imposed by state officials who discovered serious problems with access points, car parks, bars and water supply at the stadium which is set to host the 2014 World Cup.
"We were able identify some faults that are normal, like the issue of access, parking," state government official Tiago Lacerda said in a statement.
"They are faults that easily corrected, but we had grave faults in relation to the bars, lack of water. For this reason we are going to hand down a fine of one million reals."
State governor Antonio Anastasia told the consortium to take steps to ensure everything is in order for the next scheduled matches, starting with Cruzeiro's state championship meeting with America on Wednesday.
"Unfortunately, there were serious operational errors, defects in the stadium," Anastasia said.
The Mineirão is the second stadium to be ready for the Confederations Cup to be played in six Brazilian venues in June.