Flamengo and Santos in fight to sign Rubin Kazan midfielder Carlos Eduardo
Flamengo and Santos are battling it out to sign Rubin Kazan midfielder Carlos Eduardo, who has been made available on loan by the Russian club.
Carlos Eduardo, 25, who moved to Rubin from German club Hoffenheim in 2010, has suffered from a number of injuries in Russia and is believed to want to return to Brazil to kick-start his career again.
Both Flamengo and Santos are confident in getting the player, but, so far, the better offer has been put forward by Santos, who turned their attention to the former Grêmio player after Paris Saint-Germain star Nenê chose to move to Qater instead.
“What we can offer is the shirt of a club that has magnitude. We have parameters and our policy does not allow us to go crazy,” said director Paulo Pelaipe when asked if Flamengo would react to interest from Santos.
Santos on the other hand are willing to match the player’s current wages and his club are seen to prefer this offer as it will give the player a greater opportunity to do well, as he will be playing with Neymar, and also help to raise his value for a future sale.
“He wants and is making a sacrifice to return to Brazil. His head is playing at Santos,” coach Muricy Ramalho told reporters.
The player himself said on Friday that he has no preference but there have been reports in the media suggesting that life in Rio would be more attractive to the young star.