Signing of Diego Souza rules out Juan Román Riquelme move to CruzeiroSouza joined Cruzeiro from Al-Ittihad last month
Cruzeiro director of football Valdir Barbosa has revealed that the signing of Diego Souza means that Juan Román Riquelme will not be joining the club for next season.
Riquelme, 34, was close to joining Cruzeiro in July after announcing he would leave Boca Juniors after losing the Copa Libertadores final to Corinthians.
However, Barbosa told Lancenet! that a deal is now unlikely to happen.
He said: “We have Diego Souza and Montillo. If we bring in Riquelme, one would have to stay on the bench. It is impossible in football, playing with three playmakers and another player at forward.”
And Barbosa also revealed that it was the board of Boca Juniors who were responsible for the former Barcelona and Villarreal star not moving to Belo Horizonte.
“The situation was hanging by a thread. Riquelme had agreed with everything, what was missing was the release of Boca in time with the window open.
“I remember on the Friday ended the international window. He was made a memorandum of urgency. But Boca locked. This prevented the deal being done.”