Italian 2006 World Cup hero Fabio Grosso denies retirement and is considering a move to Brazil
The hero of Italy's 2006 World Cup final penalty shootout, Fabio Grosso, has denied he is on the verge of hanging up his boots, and is considering continuing his playing career in Brazil.
Grosso, 35, has been without a club since leaving Italian champions Juventus in the summer, and it was reported on Wednesday in French sports newspaper L'equipe that the Italian, who scored Italy's winning penalty against France in 2006, had called it a day,
"I decided that I will no longer play in Italy," said the left-back told Lancenet!
"But I'm not retired. I keep waiting for other situations outside my country."
The player, who also had spells at Inter and Lyon, has expressed an interest in continuing his career in Brazil, and two of his representatives were in Rio de Janeiro last week at Soccerex, the global football convention, where Lancenet! revealed they spoke with people from Flamengo and Santos, although negotiations have not progressed as of yet.